Friday, August 17, 2007

A New Spirit

I've been too many places in the last month to really do any kind of training. After the marathon we were all over Northern California. Then the next week I was in Alabama and just late Tuesday night I finally came home to stay, for a while at least. Wednesday morning came early, so I was a little late heading out but still managed to get 3 miles in and discovered the perfect loop. I realized on this run, I'm still in the final stages of recovery from the marathon.

Thursday morning was orientation for new faculty at the university. I had to be there around 8:00. I had hoped to get up and ride in the morning. I was good; I got up at 6 and had everything laid out to go. The only problem was, I haven't been getting up this early and didn't realize that dawn doesn't occur until around 6:35 and sunrise is at 6:50 or so. The problem, I don't have a reflective vest. I do have a flashing light on the back and a reflective seat, but I wasn't sure this was enough. I sat here sadly watching the time tick by and realized there was not enough time to get my ride in and make it to orientation on time. Instead, I opted for an evening ride to the lighthouse and back.

When I woke up this morning with the alarm blaring, I was not awake at all. It was 5:40 and I thought I had just laid down to sleep. Exhausted, I skipped the morning workout again today. I went out this evening instead. It was a mere 86 degrees :) The wind was blowing so hard it actually slowed me down quite a bit, but I welcomed it. It's odd though. I was delaying coming home because I knew I had to run and it's Friday. On Fridays I usually relax and hit the bed early: 1. because I'm tired and 2. because I should get up before the sun to set out for a long workout. Tonight though, I needed to run. As I walked through the front door I saw my running clothes hanging up and somehow, as if it were magic, a few minutes later I had them on. I looked down and thought, well, I guess I am going running. It was really weird. I don't remember making the decision to put them on. They just appeared on me.

Tonight when I left I was unsure of how far I could/should run. According to my training schedule, I should run for 1 hour. I was debating between 3 and 5 miles. Once I got out there though, I was feeling really good. Yeah, I was slow and my legs are still recovering, but my body and spirit felt good, so I passed where I would turn to finish 3 miles and kept running. I knew I could go for 5 and I did.

Doing this tonight has put me back where I need to be. I'm ready to ride, I'm ready to run and next week, I'll be ready to swim! I'm back to Iron Training and it feels great!

In other news. I'm bringing more people to the active lifestyle. In addition to the 6 people we have running Disney, a fellow grad student, Luis has signed up. I've also enlisted quite a few more to run 5k's locally. It's going to be a great fall!

No comments: