Sunday, August 26, 2007

My First Group Ride

I've been really hesitant about participating in group rides because I've always felt I wouldn't be fast enough. The 2 local rides I've been suppose to go on average 17-19 mph. When I'm out on my own I usually don't average 18 mph. How could I possibly hang with the group?

This week I was in the bike shop, Plan B and Steve, the owner, told me again I should come out and ride with them. Well, finally I didn't have any more excuses. I'm in town and finished with the marathon. It was time to give in and go.

I showed up too late for the Tuesday night ride. It started at 6pm, but for some reason, I thought it started at 6:30. I was very sad that I missed the group. I went about on my own and vowed to show up on Saturday.

Saturday came and although I was tired, I was up at 6:45 and out the door by 7:00 am. I jumped on my bike, pedaling hard to ensure I wasn't late again. The ride began at 7:30 and I made it there with plenty of time to spare. There was a small group of 8 as we set out. The pace was easy. I stayed to the back, unsure of how well I could ride in the group. A few miles into it, the lady behind me came up beside me, and we chatted for a while.

As we headed down Nova Road and then up along the river, I was surprised at how effortless it was to keep up. We were cruising around 19mph. However, having the group ahead makes a huge difference. I even coasted a bit to avoid hitting the rider in front of me.

Finally we rounded the corner and began the trek up the bridge. It wasn't bad, but we were behind the group now. Steve had slowed down and waited for us and then began to "pull us up". This really means that he lets us draft off him, then when we were ready, we broke around him, sped up and re-joined the group. Next week, I won't need Steve to pull me up. I'll be ready.

There were several things I learned about riding in a group this week, and I also realized that I'm not that slow :)

Our turn around was Ponce Inlet Lighthouse Park. We stopped and some riders refilled water bottles, etc. As we headed back, the pace picked up, a lot, and everyone began to spread out. I made the choice to go as hard as I could for as long as possible. I managed to maintain 20+ for most of the way back to the bridge and then I split from the group and headed back towards home. I still needed 30 more minutes, and so I rode. I still maintained 19+ until near my turn around when I saw a group of cyclist headed the opposite direction. I immediately slowed down and turned around to catch them. They slowed long enough to talk to me. The nice guy I chatted with thought I had been cycling for quite a while and seemed shocked that I had only been cycling for a few weeks.

I was tiring and there was no hope of me hanging at 25+ mph when I wasn't close enough to draft off them. I fell back and decided to call it a day. I had cycled for 2 hours and traversed almost 35 miles. It was a great day! and Tuesday I'll be there for the group ride, this time at 6pm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.