Friday, April 13, 2007

Easter Beach Run

Satuday, we participated in the 40th Annual Easter Beach Run. For Pinal and I, it was our first race! Leading up to the race, we were unsure if we should actually do it because we have so much school work to be done, especially since the semester is winding down. None the less, we signed up for the 4 mile race.

A man came over the speaker and told all runners to report to the starting line. Everyone wandered over and began staking out their space at the starting line. We stood around and at last the count started 10-9-8....1 and the crowd was off. It was one of the strangest feelings in the world.

The 3 of us were near the front of the line-up, but at soon as we started moving, we were lost in the sea of people and were being dragged behind the mobs of runners who seemed to be effortlessly flying by. I was running! These people were passing me like I was stopped, tying my shoe. I was a little overwhelmed by the situation.

Even at 0.5 miles, people were still passing me and I was wondering if there was anyone left behind me, there was thankfully. You see, I didn't set out to win, I'm not that ridiculous, but I set out to not be last! As I approached the 1 mile clock, I saw a sub-9 and thought that the clock must be wrong. I surely wasn't running all out, which I would almost have to be to get a sub-9 according to my last magic mile. I continued on, plugging away at my 4 miles. I was unsure of how hard to run, afraid that I would die out like most of the people in front of me surely would (but didn't).

The miles passed and I took water when it was available, mostly to try running and drinking out of a cup like I'll be doing for the marathon. I think half of the water went on me :) I guess I need a little more practice.

At last the race ended and I accomplished both of my goals:
1. I didn't come in last
2. I completed the race in under 38 minutes, well under my 40 min goal.
Pinal and Irfan both ran impressive times that right now, I couldn't touch, but maybe by the end of training I will have improved :)

My new picture was taken near the finish line.

2 comments:

Peter said...

Well you look like you're going fast in the photo! Congrats on your first race!!

In long races, you see most people (at least back in the pack) walk through the aid stations. It's better to get the water in your mouth even if you lose a few seconds.

(Unless you want the water not in your mouth, in which case, I say the faster the better for that instant cooling effect!)

MK said...

Thanks! I too will probably be walking through the aid stations. I figured that out after the first race. I think walking for ~1 or so to consume fluid will be much smarter in the long run that not getting enough liquid.

After looking at the SF route with the water stations, I think I'm going to need to take my fuel belt too. They only give water ~2.5 miles for the first 10 miles (eeks!).