Monday, March 26, 2007

Magic Mile

If you've checked out the training schedule on the right hand side, then you'll notice Monday I was suppose to run 3*. The * denotes a Magic Mile. I learned about magic miles from Jeff Galloway's training site. You start with a 1 mile warm up jog and then you run as hard as you can for 1 mile where you time yourself. By the end of the mile you should be so tired you couldn't possibly run another 100 yards at that pace. That mile is considered the magic mile. After completing this you run the remaining of your mileage for the day.

Why run magic miles? There is a formula used that predicts your marathon time based on your magic mile time.

Monday was my first one and it's the first time I've ran like that since maybe high school. My time was 8:54. Not the best, but I've left lots of room for improvement. I would like to think that over the course of training I can get that down to around 8:00. For now, my predicted finish time is 5hr 3min! That in itself is exciting for me.

If you want to look at other times, you can see the link "Magic Mile".

No comments: