Saturday, July 14, 2007

Celebrating my 1st week of Training with my 1st Triathlon

Ok. Now at least I can say I have done a triathlon, even if it was a very short one (1/4 mile swim, 7 mile bike and 1.5 mile run). It was nice and short :) There were no places or t-shirts, just lots of fun.

I found this event on Thursday and talked to Irfan about doing it on Saturday. On Friday, I still wasn't sure, but as the day grew to an end, I knew I wanted to try it, even if I came in last. So on Friday evening when we got home, I began packing up all the gear I would need: goggles, swim cap, bike shoes, socks, running shoes, my garmin watch, visor, helmet, towels, gatorade... there seemed to be so much stuff to remember. Finally by 8 pm, I was finished packing and headed to bed. After a while I finally fell asleep even though the sun hadn't fully set. By 2 am I was hungry, something you should never be before a race. I got up, had some cereal and attempted to sleep some more, but didn't until 3. My alarms went off at 3:47 and 3:51. I turned them both off, said something to Irfan and then promptly feel peacefully back to sleep where I began to dream about getting ready for the race and then I realized I wouldn't be able to make it because I had forgotten my racing shorts and by this time, there wasn't enough time to go back and get them. I woke right up! It was 4:23 and I thought that maybe it was going to be too late. Irfan asked me if I thought we could make it, and I said, "Maybe, but it might be tight." The race was to start at 7am near Clermont, FL (about 90 miles from Daytona). By 4:37, my bike was mounted on the back of the car and we were pulling out.

Thankfully we made it to the site around 6:20, not much time to register, rack the bike, lay out gear and determine how a triathlon operates. I didn't know where the even water was (you can't see if from the parking lot), which way the bike or run course started. I felt a little lost. Irfan and I found a place for K2 (my beautiful bike) and I headed over to registration. I made it through the line and was marked with #225. I proceeded then to lay out my gear like the pros next to me did. I was already taking notes on how to do this. I asked a gentleman about the bike course, he explained how the transition worked, and I started to feel a little better.

We decided to trek down to the water and see where that was, but it was already 6:40. I asked several people about the swim course, but no one really knew, until maybe the 6th person. They proceeded to tell me it was probably faster to just run the swim course because the water was so shallow.

We set up in waves and watched the men go out first and then finally it was my turn. I stepped up to the end of the water, the horn sounded and we were off and running, literally! Later I saw people doing a "dolphin dive" and decided to join in. Then I ran, swam, ran, swam, swam, swam, ran, dolphin dived, ran, ran. I was back at the beach and headed to my first transition. Prior to the race, I had done exactly one, today I would do 2, more than doubling my experience :)

I ran barefoot up the beach, on the boardwalk and finally through the parking lot to K2. I geared up, had a sip of gatorade and took off. This transition was slow: 1) because I have never done it before and 2) I decided since this wasn't for anything other than fun and experience I would take the time to put on my GPS/heart rate monitor watch and gear. I fumbled with this, but finally managed to get out and onto the bike course. I still haven't mastered my clips for my bike shoes either, so I struggled with the left foot for a while and finally decided I would just have to ride unclipped; it was taking too much time.

The course was hilly, but with K2 I was flying. I passed 1 person then another, then another and then, well, I just kept passing people all the way to the end. I topped 25mph and shifted seamlessly even though I had never gone over a single hill on K2. Besides I had only taken her out twice, this would make the third time. For me, the third time was a charm. Everything felt so natural. Before I knew it, the bike leg was over. My time was looking really good. I thought I had a chance at breaking 1 hour. I settled into my run, trying to get a rhythm with my breathing. Since I had put on my heart rate monitor, my heart rate hadn't dropped below 180 bpm and running sure didn't help. In fact, I maxed out at 193 bpm.

I ran what I think was a pretty steady pace for the first half and continued passing people, then came the turn around. I headed back, having a great time. Then I decided to cheer on the others still working their way to the half-way point. I would yell out all kinds of crazy things like, "Let me see those smiles!" or "We're having fun!". To my fellow female athletes I might say, "You go girl!" or "You ladies rock!". It was a lot of fun and a lot of people smiled as a result. During this time my pace picked up. The winding road seemed like it was never going to end. At last though I saw my cheering section and I knew the end was near. I picked up the pace to go around the final bend and then I sprinted as hard as I could, almost falling over because I couldn't keep up with my legs; over the finish line I went, 1 sec ahead of the guy I overcame with my mad dash. I felt fantastic, but winded :)

I looked at the clock, 53:17. I was thrilled, but even more so when I remembered that my wave started 6 minutes after the clock started. Therefore, my actual time was 47:17, WAY above my expectations! It was awesome! K2 and I are a match made in heaven and my little cheering section was there for me when I left the water, headed out on the bike, returned from the bike and then for the start and finish of my run. Irfan is great!

What a wonderful day this has been! I'll sleep well tonight with a big smile on my face. Ironman, here I come! (Thank goodness I have months to train!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The picture of you on your site is the first i've seen of you in years. you look just as i remember. i, on the other hand, have gotten older.