Thursday, June 14, 2007

The Slump

After completing the half-marathon trail run, I knew I was in for it. I could barely walk my knee was hurting so badly. The race was on Saturday and I spent ALL Sunday on the couch. My fiance was out of town and it was miserable being in so much pain all alone.

It was on this day that I more or less cancelled my "big" wedding. It really wasn't ever going to be "big". We were inviting about 80 people, but on this day, everything seemed over whelming and on Monday I sent out the notice, that only family was invited to the wedding. A few people didn't take this so well. Without Irfan around (he had already been gone for 2+ weeks and there was still another week left) I was falling apart, at least I felt like it. Knowing that I couldn't run for some time (unsure of how long that would be) was a bit unnerving and upset me a great deal. Put that together with me missing him; and I had fallen apart.

The following week, day-by-day my knee pain eased and then I allowed a few extra days of rest to be sure I wasn't going to re-injure myself. After 9 days off running, I'm not sure I felt like I was missing much. I had so much free time and was less tired. I think I was getting lazy. Luckily for me everyone knows I'm training for the marathon and a few ask about my running from time to time. A nice guy at work happen to stop by on Tuesday to ask me how my running was going. I had to tell him that I wasn't running...not for the past 9 days :( This didn't feel very good.

That night I went home and decided it was time to quit making excuses and being lazy. In the morning, I went for a short 2 mile run just to check things out (I was trying to get over my laziness more than anything). Oh my goodness!!! I never imagined taking off for a little more than a week could be so devastating! My upper back hurt, I was winded, etc but my knee didn't hurt, not much anyway.

The next day I went for 5 miles and my knee was a little sore, but nothing a little ice wouldn't fix. At last the weekend arrived and it was time for the real test. I was suppose to be running 16 miles, daunting having not run much for a couple of weeks. I went out for a ran 12 mile run instead. It was pretty good overall, but my knees were very sore afterwards, as were my muscles on the outer portion of my hip. I iced my knees and hoped for the best.

At least now I was running and the slump was over! :)

No comments: