Thursday, September 3, 2009

Taking it off!

My wetsuit that is! Last Friday was the first time I had ever done an open water swim in the Pacific Ocean without my wetsuit. And I have to tell you…it was AWESOME! The water was so warm and it was just so nice being out there without neoprene hugging and restricting my every movement. My arms didn’t have to fight to propel myself through the water. It was simply magnificent.

I didn’t plan this by the way. I showed up a little late. People were already coming out of the water and I still have a 2 mile swim ahead of me. I was in a hurry to say the least! I grabbed my cap and goggles and headed down to the edge of the water. I stood there nervous about taking the plunge for the first time. I wondered if I had become too dependent on my floatation device (ie wetsuit).

Alas, a friend came out of the water and told me to go for it. So I waded in, put my head down and off I went. I stopped at the quarter and half mile buoys looking for swim buddies to join me for a longer distance. I found someone debating about going long, so I grabbed him up and off we went.

I had the best time swimming ever! And now, I’m excited to go back tomorrow and do it all over again!

No comments: